Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Where's my style baby? I'm sure I left it here somewhere...

I can't say I have a style. Or, more accurately, I don't think I've written enough to say that I've settled into a specific pattern that I could call "my style". I could say that I have a (bad?) tendency to feel a bit detached from whatever I end up writing and showing others. When I put more of myself in what I write, I also end up working with it longer, since it never seems to come out the way I want, and at the end I end up thinking, "Oh, that's not really what I meant to say" or "that's not really the feeling I meant to convey", but it seems good enough as a piece of writing so I stop working on it anyway.

If it could be called part of a style, I've also realized that my writing tends to lack a significant emotional aspect to it, which I've sort of touched on in my first post. Part of the problem (I think) is that I'm not especially a person who feels very strongly about very much. Maybe there's someone in the airport who is totally stressed out and screaming at a flight attendant, or (perhaps more close to home) a student is freaking out about a homework assignment due the next day. However if I came to be in that kind of situation, I wouldn't even be able to react like that. I might say that we have a ton of homework that I can't deal with, or that my life is terrible, but most of the time I don't really feel that I actually mean it. Sometimes I feel like I might be overcompensating with some of my reactions. Do people really feel so strongly about wasting an hour because of a delayed flight? It all seems ridiculous to me, but sometimes I try to play the role anyway. Maybe I'm just a cold, calculating monster.

I didn't really mean that. Sure sounded like the thing to say though.

Actually, maybe it was The Strokes. Curse them for making my teenage self think it was cool to not care about anything. Or maybe it was just watching too many manly men's movies. Explosions are cool, crying is not, etc etc. Should I just blame society?

I'm still hiding behind a veil of practiced sarcasm. Oh well. Maybe I'll try harder next time.

Either way, I think I do enjoy a good romance/tragedy/emotionalrollercoasterwhatever as much as the next stereotypically effeminate male though, but if I were to actually star in a drama, I'd probably make a pretty boring lead.

This also wasn't exactly where I was planning to end up, but it's good enough for the prompt. I think.

1 comment:

inx said...

oh you. :)

those people who scream in the airport are kinda super crazy. they feel too much. or they're just too self-centered. either way.

if prism were a drama, we'd actually do really bad as a television show. our ratings would suck. :(

Post a Comment