Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Venopian Solitude - Sangfroid (2010)


I'd been meaning to post about this for forever. I think I started it a month ago. Not her only release in 2010, but I couldn't really decide on my favorite so I posted the first one I discovered. Anyway, lo-fi anti-folk music stuffs. Short, simple, emotional. I don't usually listen to folk music, and when I do, there's usually some special or unique quality that makes it stand out in mind. In this case, there's just something about how stripped down and raw it is that makes me love this it much. The Venopian Solitude is a solo (as far as I know) project by Suiko Takahara, and I think it really serves as an outlet for her creativity. She is proof that you don't need a fancy studio, band, or incredible virtuosity to record great music. They're not polished, they don't have any fancy post production effects, but what really shows through is her gift for songwriting and composition.

Also her blog is great. She just comes across as incredibly down to earth. Though her lyrics are often depressing and deal with some dark themes, she doesn't really take herself seriously and is able to joke about what she writes, albeit sometimes in a dark and/or self deprecating way.

Music available for free at Bandcamp.



Blog
Myspace
Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment