Tuesday, October 12, 2010

東京事変 - スポーツ (2010)


スポーツ (Sports) is the newest album released by 東京事変 (Tokyo Jihen). Formed in 2004 after 椎名林檎 (Shiina Ringo) decided to end her solo career (though she has since resumed it with her 2009 album 三文ゴシップ, which is also great). All of her albums, both solo and with the band have been at least great, and most of them are amazing. I know I said Arkhaiomelisidonophunikheratos is my favorite 2010 album, but I love this one just as much, even though they really can't be compared. At the very least, 椎名林檎/東京事変 are definitely in my top 5 favorite artists of all time, and one of the few whose albums I can play over and over again without tiring of them. If there's one recommendation you take away from this whole blog, make it this one.

As far as stand out tracks go on this album... pretty much all of them. This tends to be the case with all of her albums, and each individual track would probably be a standout single on any other album. None of that hits + filler nonsense. That being said, there are still tracks that stand out within the album. The second track, Denpa Tsuushin opens with a hectic bass line, while combining elements of electropop and her signature jazzy style into a ridiculously catchy and energetic song.  Raise the dead on your turntable, she sings on 能動的三分間 (Noudouteki Sanpunkan, Active Three Minutes), the lead single. An exactly three minute long (get it?) song, played at 120BPM, with hands down one of the catchiest choruses I've ever heard. A fusion of her amazing pop sensibilities and the rest of the band's instrumentation. This song is the shining example of her ability to fuse modern rock and pop with the feel of high energy jazz performances in a tightly knit song, stripped away of any superfluous elements and without a single wasted second. Finally, スイートスポット (Sweet Spot), is another one of my favorites and one of the slower songs on the album. In the form of a modern jazz ballad, overflowing with emotion, amazing vocal delivery, etc etc. I don't even know how to describe what makes me love it, other than that it melts my cold, dead heart.

You always know my sweet spot
You conjure up my voice from down deep inside
And all I know is
You play me right

Multiple Youtube links because I love this album everything she does so damn much.







Tracklist:
  1. 生きる
  2. 電波通信
  3. シーズンサヨナラ
  4. 勝ち戦
  5. F.O.U.L.
  6. 雨天決行
  7. 能動的三分間
  8. 絶体絶命
  9. F.A.I.R.
  10. 乗り気
  11. スイートスポット
  12. 閃光少女
  13. 極まる
(Also note the awesome track symmetry)

Raise the dead on your turntable

No comments:

Post a Comment