Thursday, January 27, 2011

Titus Andronicus - The Monitor (2010)


So I finally went and listened to this to see what the fuss was all about. It's also been forever since I've written a post on an album.

Four or five years ago, when I was more or less in my "punk" phase (I use punk loosely since it seems to be something people get up in arms about for no real reason) this probably would have blown my mind. Unfortunately, this didn't come out five years ago, but it's still good enough for me to say it's an enjoyable listen. I was initially pretty skeptical about the idea of a Civil War concept album as done by a rock band, but it wasn't bogged down in the idea, and it served as a decent thematic background to tie the whole thing together.

Anyway, right when the album starts, it becomes painfully obvious that Patrick Stickles can't sing. At all. To be honest, I've found that this usually doesn't bother me, but it got on my nerves a bit here. It's not the fact that he doesn't try - he does - but it's definitely their weakest point. The best songs were the ones where he didn't even bother or try to sing well, and instead goes for more of a slurred, still somewhat melodic shout. Then again, I've always been partial to throaty half-screaming vocals. I'm also not really sold on the "singalong" parts, but that's more a personal preference. They can be done well, but often I just found them to be out of place. Even if they've mastered how to write high-energy anthemic rock songs, the singalong should be kept to the live shows and not a studio recording.

The Monitor also stays true to one of my favorite things about punk music - it's simple (Remember the old saying: three chords are all you need). Yes, they occasionally have some laughable lyrics and yes, he really can't sing, but that doesn't necessarily preclude you from making good music. Guitar work and riffs are great, starting soft and building into an explosive emotional release with Stickles' vocals. The instrumentals were definitely the highlights of the album. It never really drags, and keeps up the momentum until the end. Songs like Richard II almost reminds me of The Libertines, sloppy yet melodic and incredibly catchy, more British punk than hardcore.

This is just my initial gut reaction after listening to it once. I'm not too keen on revisiting, but overall it was a fun ride.



Tracklist:
  1. A More Perfect Union
  2. Titus Andronicus Forever
  3. No Future Part Three: Escape From No Future
  4. Richard II
  5. A Pot in Which to Piss
  6. Four Score and Seven
  7. Theme From 'Cheers'
  8. To Old Friends and New
  9. …And Ever
  10. The Battle of Hampton Roads
Website
Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment