Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wild Nothing - Gemini (2010)


What is with this year and ugly-face-mashup album covers. Honestly. Anyway, yeah I know I've already basically spammed this at everyone who would care. I also know that Pitchfork's been all over it already. Whatever. It's a decent dream pop album. I had thought the genre was getting rather tired at this point (no, I wasn't incredibly impressed by Beach House's release earlier this year), but this convinced me to give it another chance. It's still nothing groundbreaking, but hey, at least it's fun to listen to.

Chinatown is probably the catchiest track on the album, with Jack Tatum's breathy vocals floating over an ethereal melody. This is a rather generic description, I know. Once you've heard this track though, you've pretty much heard the rest of the album, but this isn't necessarily such a bad thing. The rest are pretty consistent, though they seem to go right by without really catching my attention. Like lounge music. Well, enjoyable lounge music, but they're comparable nonetheless. The whole thing tends to evoke a sense of nostalgia, which is probably its strong point. Like sitting and remembering your favorite summer as a child, Gemini reminiscent of earlier dream pop acts, and though it doesn't technically feel like something new and remarkable, it doesn't really need to.

Anyway, I think I may have ended up coming off as too harsh. Not really the direction I meant to go when I started this post (a few weeks ago), but whatever. It's good summer music (like all dream pop?), and honestly is still a solid album.



Tracklist:
  1. Live in Dreams
  2. Summer Holiday
  3. Drifter
  4. Pessimist
  5. O, Lilac
  6. Bored Games
  7. Confirmation
  8. My Angel Lonely
  9. The Witching Hour
  10. Chinatown
  11. Our Composition Book
  12. Gemini

Myspace

1 comment:

inx said...

yay you finished the post! :) i saw this pop up in my filter last week and kept clicking on it to find that it DID NOT EXIST, WOE. 'grats. :)D <-moustache for you

Post a Comment